Neat as a Needle

After working on the Gardener's Apron idea for Hobby Farms, I was very inspired to do some more sewing.  I've not done any for quite some time now and I've forgotten  how wonderfully quick and instant it feels compared to knitting and crochet.

But what to make?  Actually, I didn't deliberate too long and hard over that one.  My recent escapades working with knitting needles again while making Bubble was a fresh reminder on how much I need a new case to sort out all of my interchangeable needles.

I made one for my favourite Addi Clicks a while back and I've been meaning to make another from my Knit Pros pretty much ever since then.  I think one of the things that held me back was wondering where I'd put all the extra bits and bobs that come with the Pros.  All these end stoppers and little metal 'key' things to change the needles over.  That and the fact that I've been adding wooden versions to my needles collection too.


In the end I settled on keeping the same style as my Click case.  I just extended it to make it long enough for all the wooden needles too, plus a few spaces to 'future proof' it a bit and added in a little pocket for all the fiddly little bits.

It does mean I've ended up with quite a long roll, so long I could barely fit it in the photos, but it does do the job and I'm quite chuffed with how my little extra pocket came out in the end.  I made it out of a single piece of fabric and just folded it to get the flaps I needed.  It looks quite neat I think but it did kind of make my head explode trying to figure out if it was going to work.  I probably could have done it in half the time with a separate pocket piece but once you start down a road...

Anyway, I happy with how the whole thing worked out and a particularly like the different sections of fabric for the needle pockets, which I wrapped around so you can see on the back of the roll too, just to make it a bit more interesting.






Now I've got that old 'to do' off my list, I need to book some more time in the sewing room I think.

S x





My posts, delivered to you...

      RSS      Feedly      Bloglovin'      Email




Comments

  1. Precioso, precioso, precioso.
    Todo lo que haces es precioso.
    Un beso

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your needle cases Sandra! Isn't it lovely when everything is tucked away nice and neatly!? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really great and I love the idea for the pocket for all the little bits that you need as well. Hope that you love using it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. just lovely Sandra! So pleased to see your inspiring sewing projects appear in my google reader :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I need to make one for all my hooks! Hopefully someday soon. ;) Wishing you a sweet week Sandra! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being totally inspired by your new-found love of sewing, I've dug out a pattern for a dress which I've had for ages and just happen to have the material to hand as well but guess what? I've completely forgotten how to read a pattern!!Well, almost. Could I ask you a daft question? You know when it says '1.5cm seam allowance' and '3cm hem allowance', are these allowances incorporated in the pattern for your size or do you have to add them on as extra? See, it's been a while since I made anything by hand, so please be gentle with me!lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops, forgot to say, I love your pretty new needle cases. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those needle rolls are so pretty - I love the colours you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new needle case! And the strangest serendipity - I'm working on a crochet hook roll! That's what the bamboo yarn and Tilda fabric mystery photo was about over at my blog...but I'm not finished yet, so don't tell anyone... ;-) I really love your fabrics, I can't wait to see what is next for your sewing machine! Chrissie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo! This is a very eclectic, meaningful, useful and valuable not to mention 'groovy' thing to have. You are very clever, eclectic, meaningful, useful, valuable and groovy too! I forgot compact. I really need one of these. I so do and I sew too! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's soo beautiful Sandra!! You are very talented! Pati x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous, really love these :)
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally gorgeous Sandra. You are so clever with colour and your sewing machine, wish I could do this x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything to make is soooo neat and divine! But especially so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out great! And, what a wonderful idea! I have a set of interchangeable Knitpicks needles and the plastic case they came it works but it's so ugly. I like this idea much better! Hmmmm? I might need to make one! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooooh Sandra, this is truly stunning. Very pretty and lovely to look at, you almost want to stroke it. I sound weird don't I?! That is what happens every time I finish any patchwork project. Lol, are you going to post a tutorial soon? I would sooo be willing to buy your pattern. I really need one those in my life!!! You are a bad influence! hahaha lots of love x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it, love it, love it. I'm about to move again. Our house is almost ready and I can't wait to have a little space to sew again. It looks like you had so much fun :) I always love your work. You have impeccable taste.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, PRETTY PLEASE make a tutorial or pattern. Several little ladies at my church have just started to knit, and this would be so fun to make with them for all their needles!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much Mikhaila! I did start a little needle case tutorial for the first case a while ago, I’ll have to see if I still have the pics anywhere.

    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pretty fabrics you have used!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm in awe of two things: your sewing abilities (so neat! so perfect!) and your needle collection - wow. I have, like, seven ragtag hooks in various sizes and materials. I need to up my game! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have that same set of needles and love them, almost as much as I adore this case! I really need to teach myself to sew now, must make one of these!

    ReplyDelete